Photo & Recipe By: Ronda Schyf
- The Key Dough Mix
- ½ cup or 100 g unsalted grass-fed butter (cold)
- ¼ cup or 55 g cream cheese (cold)
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Optional egg wash (for shine)
- Add butter and cream cheese to a mixer or food processor. Pulse for just a few seconds until crumbly.
- Add in egg and pulse again.
- Add The Key Dough Mix until the dough just begins to blend (but stop before it forms into a ball). Like all pastry dough, make sure not to over-process. Think the consistency of chunky bread crumbs rather than fully mixed dough.
- Transfer to cling-wrap and place in the fridge.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour or up to 3 days.
- Remove from the fridge and roll out the pie crust between parchment paper. Note: The dough is more delicate than regular pie crust so work quickly and keep the dough cold. Use your hands and fingers to shape the dough and pinch any cracks. If the crust gets warm and sticky, put it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before continuing.
- Once shaped place the crust back in the freezer for 10-15 minutes before baking (it will keep its shape better and come out flakier).
- Add fruit of choice for filling. Cover with leftover crust in your desired pattern. Note: the crust is sweet.
- Brush with egg wash for sheen (optional).
- For small pies, bake at 390°F/200°C for 15-20 minutes (or until golden brown) for a larger pie, 35-40 minutes. Watch closely near the end of baking to remove at desired browning.
- Let cool and enjoy!